With the number of Saxophone brands available, buying a saxophone can be a bit challenging if you have no experience getting one. It is therefore important to get all the information you can on the instrument before setting out to buy one. This becomes even more necessary where you do not have an experienced person helping out.
If you are a beginner, you may have some challenges deciding whether you want to rent or buy your own saxaphone? Or if it is okay to get vintage instead of a new piece. The aim of this guide is to help you figure out the instrument, brand, and type that is best for you.
Read More: Pocket Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone
What is the Best Saxophone?
- Yellow Brass Body
- Eb Key
- Warm Sound
- Tapered Pivot Keys
- Ideal for Beginner & Intermediate Players
1) Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L+92D+PB Gold Lacquer Alto Saxophone
- Huge Bore
- Cecilio 92-D Chromatic Tuner with Metronome
- Deep & Rich Tone
- Fast Action Keys
3) YAMAHA YAS-280 Student
- Well-Known Brand
- Gold Lacquer Finish
- Sonorous Tone
- High F Keys
- Perfect for Student Players
Deciding on Whether to Rent or Buy
Saxophones can be quite expensive. If you are not so sure how long you are going to play this instrument, renting may be a good option. Before you decide to rent, however, here are some reasons why getting your own sax is best.
1. You may end up playing this instrument longer than you anticipated. If this happens, then rental fees will eventually add up and become more than the cost of getting a new one.
2. You are held responsible and have to pay for damages caused while using rented instruments.
3. A lot of rental instruments are usually not properly taken care of, as such they come with dents and what’s not. They will usually produce poorer sound.
4. You can sell your instrument if you are sure you would not be needing it and get a pretty good price for it.
Deciding what Saxophone is suitable for You
You may have to choose a sax depending on your proficiency level, that is, beginner, student, intermediate or professional. This is because the sax has a wide variety of sounds and intonation. Your ability to manage its tones will depend on your proficiency level. The high instruments like the Soprano prove more difficult getting a pleasing tone and intonation. The lower instruments, that is, bass are pretty expensive and are usually harder to blow and finger. These instruments are best left to the professionals. Altos are perfect for beginners as they make learning easy. This is because they are ribbed and as such give good intonation with little difficulty. It is also easier to finger this kind.
Deciding if it should be New or Vintage
Depending on your income, you may have to decide if you should go for a new piece or get a second hand one. Each of these options has their pros and cons. It is therefore up to you after weighing these options to decide which better.
Buying a new instrument always comes with a warranty guarantee. You also make use of a new piece a long time before it needs repair. It comes with all its original parts as made by the manufacturer and also accessories including those necessary for maintenance. It is however expensive to get one. The cheap ones are usually not of good quality, and you may end up needing repairs after just a few use.
A vintage or second-hand piece could be a great option. This is especially when you get one that has been properly treated by its previous owner. You get good prices for them and are sometimes able to get professional pieces at a good vintage price. The problem with vintage pieces is that they may soon need repairs. You may also be buying a second-hand piece that has lost all his original parts and may have been relacquered. Be sure to ask questions or go to a teacher or professional while buying vintage. Also, avoid foul-smelling, and moss filled instruments except there is a good reason for this.
Deciding What Brands are Most Suitable
There are some brands that are more popular when it comes to sales of saxophones. The professional brands which are usually the most expensive include Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerth. There are however a lot of cheaper brands out there that sound just as good. You should find the review given in this article helpful in choosing a brand:
Related: Saxophone Book, Saxophone Lyre, Saxophone Pad Saver, Saxophone Ligature, Saxophone Stand, Saxophone Mute, Microphone for Saxophone
34 Best Saxophone Reviews & Best Saxophone Brands
1) Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L+92D+PB Gold Lacquer Alto Saxophone
Mendini MAS-L+92D+PB saxophone model by Cecilio is a great instrument for students and a great addition to intermediate and professional players. Mendini instruments are assembled from over 300 hand crafted parts that are exclusively made by Cecilio. As such, there are no off the shelf parts.
The instrument is play tested at its distribution center before the sale, making it instructors’ favorite. Another reason they have met with music teachers’ approval is that they are easy to use and perfect for beginners. Their large bore is suited to young players as it easily allows them to make a full bodied sound. This is complemented with keys that respond pretty fast allowing for easy play. The tone can be described as deep and rich with even intonation over the full range. Since it comes with a 1-year warranty against manufacturer’s defect, you get to buy with confidence.
- Gold lacquered keys as well as body
- Keys Eb with the high F# alto sax
- A large bore, ribbed construction, good leather pads and metal tone boosters, as well as contoured keys and faux mother of pearl inlays
- Comes with pro-deluxe hard shell case, neck strap, mouthpiece, a box of ten reeds each 2.5 inches, cleaning cloth and rod, and gloves.
- Additional Packages: Cecilio 92-D chromatic/string tuner, metronome, and pocketbook
- It weighs about 9.7 pounds, with a dimension of 26 × 7 × 13 inches.
2) Jean Paul AS-400 Alto Saxophone
Jean Paul AS-400 Alto Saxophone is a sax from one of the leading and trusted brands for quality band instruments. Jean Paul is not just a trusted brand, it is known for meeting customer satisfaction. Their instruments are designed for use by beginners and intermediate players plus they are relatively affordable. This particular model inclusive.
The Jean Paul AS-400 sax produces a superior tone, warm sound, and well-rounded intonation when played making it a band favorite. It has even key action, placement and fluid key work that feels just right to users. The features of this sax are also strong points that make you appreciate its value. Jean Paul provides a 1-year warranty for parts and labor for their musical instruments.
- It is constructed with a lacquered beautiful yellow brass for its body.
- The alto saxophone is in Eb key
- It has even key action
- Has a robust contoured carrying case to ease transportation
- It comes with 1 Rico reed, a carrying case, and grease, a pair of gloves, cleaning cloth, swabs, and mouthpiece.
- This piece weighs 2 pounds, with a dimension of 7 × 26 ×12 inches.
- Model number AS-400
- It is designed for beginners and intermediate players.
3) YAMAHA YAS-280 Student Alto Saxophone
The Yamaha brand is known for constructions that suit beginners. With intonation that is perfect. The YAS-280 saxophones are an improvement to YAS-275. This model is particularly designed with the new sax player in mind. They are light weight as well as ergonomically shaped to enable easy hold and play.
The intonation meets the Yamaha known tone perfection, and as such it has a really great sound. Some of the enhancements based on the recommendations to the YAS-275 include a new more stable neck receiver and new low B-C# connection for better adjustment. There is also a neck receiver with a durable screw. The redesigned neck receiver promotes a quick response and allows for easy play while also increasing durability.
Further to the improvements made is a low B-C# connection. This ensures the consistent closing of the low C# key and also promotes a clear response from notes in the instruments low range. It has an adjustable thumb-rest which is a typical feature in Yamaha Saxophones. It is expensive but will give you the value of your money and so much confidence.
- Gold lacquered body and keys
- Key is low B-C#
- It comes with dual-use carrying case and cork grease.
- It weighs 0.2 ounces, with a dimension of 29.9 × 9.8 × 15 inches.
- Model is YAS-280
- Level student or beginner
4) Glory Professional Alto Eb SAX Saxophone
Glory Professional Alto Eb Sax Saxophone is another quality brand that is cost effective. It is a good choice if you do not have enough money to buy a professional piece. Apart from being inexpensive, it is a good choice for beginner’s sax.
The model can be easily played by adults and children alike as it has accurate sound hole positions that allow players fingers to rest comfortably on them. It comes with its own alto sax size case, mouthpieces, and neck-strap, cleaning gear, gloves and 11 reeds. Before delivery, Glory saxophones are tested by professionals to ensure they pass the quality check.
- It is gold in color and has engraved on it by hand a bell decoration.
- This model of glory sax that is Eb Alto Saxophone is E-flat and has High F#
- It is designed to have high-quality leather pads with metal resonators, key height screws that are adjustable and metal thumb rest.
- It comes with 11 pc reeds, 8 pc mouthpiece, neck strap, a pair of gloves, and a maintenance kit. The maintenance kit contains grease, a screwdriver, cleaning cloth and rod.
- The piece weighs about 10.2 pounds, with a dimension of 19.2 × 12.2 × 6.1 inches.
5) Lazarro Professional Black-Gold Keys Eb E Flat Alto Saxophone
Lazarro saxophones are perfect for any occasion. They are acceptable for learning, bands, concerts, and orchestras. They are manufactured in Russia, but are made to follow US standards. They are a more colorful brand, having a wide variety of color selection. Despite the color and key variations, each saxophone has similar features, same sound, quality, mechanisms, and durability. If you are looking for a saxophone within students budget and also stylish, then you should go for Lazarro.
The EB E-Flat Alto Saxophone model has High F# and front F key. It is made from real Brass and has hand engraved bell decoration. It is of high-quality leather pads with metal resonators, including adjustable key height screws and metal thumb rest.
- It is made from brass with hand engraved bell decoration
- High F# and front F key
- High-quality leather pads with metal resonators
- It comes with 11 reefs, carrying case and many more extras.
- Also available in a variety of color
6) Mendini by Cecilio Tenor Saxophone (MTS – L + 92D)
The MTS model is available for your convenience in 5 different colors, gold, nickel, black and gold, black and nickel, as well as gold and nickel. The body paint has a lacquered glossy finish that feels really smooth when you slide your fingers to hold it whenever you are not playing the instrument, but it has a steady grip, it’s not slippery.
Made with top quality brass, offering sturdy construction and leather pads with intonation boosters for a better sound overall, tuned in high F# keys, they are countered with fake pearl accents that not only give it a beautiful design but also makes it easier to move the keys back and forth. It is highly recommended for students, both beginners and advanced levels.
Cecilio makes sure that every single model is manually assembled, which requires over 300 different human-made pieces, and once the process is done, every tenor saxophone is individually tested at their main factory and then re-tested one last time, before being shipped, in their distribution center located in Los Angeles, before sending the instruments to their future owners. All this to provide the best-personalized service and test the sound quality and make sure it has a rich and tuned sound.
7) ammoon Antique Finish Bend Eb E-flat Alto Saxophone
The Eb E-flat bend alto saxophone with high F# is a good choice if you are looking for a quality instrument but cannot afford the expensive brands. It is constructed with high-quality bronze and has an antique finish. It also has a special design on its surface with beautiful carved pattern. It’s leather pads, and bluing steel needle is water resistant. It is constructed to have comfortable key inlays which are made from abalone shells. Its tone is reached and plays Eb, F, and F#.
This sax is an ideal instrument for playing jazz and classical music. It comes with a lot of accessories giving you a complete set for so much less.
- Its body and keys made from quality bronze with antique finish
- Tone Eb, F, and F#
- It weighs 2.62kg/ 5.8lb, package weight is 4.02kg/ 8.9lb, with package dimension at 62 × 27 × 15cm/ 24.4 × 10.6 × 5.9 inches.
- The package includes 1 saxophone neck, mouth piece, mouth piece cap, carrying case, a brush of random color, sardine, 2 sax strap, 10 reeds, and 3 cleaning cloth, a pair of gloves, grease and user manual.
8) Glory Tenor Saxophone
Glory’s tenor is a B Flat saxophone with a high F# key, which tends to be the most common one among these instruments. This model is a great option if you are looking for a high-quality tenor that is also a good market value, not just with the main instrument, but also with the components it has.
We are talking about a hard case to protect it, one mouthpiece, grease to facilitate attachments of different pieces, gloves, cleaning cloths, one adjustable neck strap, one screwdriver, and ten reeds so you can practice as much as you need to without having to buy more for a while. It comes in 3 different colors, gold, black or gold, and nickel combination, and all of them share a beautiful hand-carved design on the brass body.
The resonators are made of strong metal for more resistance, and it contains leather pads and key screws that you can adjust as much as you need to, ergonomic thumb rest and holes to position your fingers strategically and comfortably. Glory is known for its hands-on service, and it’s no different when it comes to supervising the saxophones during the handling phase to reassure that the manufacturing process met all the proper standards to provide the best sound and quality.
9) Jean Paul TS-400 Tenor Saxophone
A great model from the trusted and well-known brand is the Jean Paul TS-400 Tenor Saxophone. This model is perfect for both beginning and intermediate players. It is in key Bb and offers a superior tone when played. Apart from its great intonation, it also has an excellent range. It has even key action, and placement developing musicians require to achieve success and get a comfortable learning experience.
The Jean Paul tenor sax is designed to have a beautiful brass body; power forged keys, a strong bell brace to ensure durability, as well as tapered pivot keys to enable easy use. The device comes with a firm dual-use carrying case that can be carried by the hand or carried as a back-pack. Multiple pockets for additional storage are also built in the carrying case.
- A beautiful lacquer finished yellow brass body.
- The Jean Paul Tenor Saxophone is in Key Bb
- It has robust dual use carrying case, with multiple pockets for additional storage
- Also comes with accessories including Rico reeds, carrying case, cork grease, a pair of gloves, cleaning kit and mouthpiece. Please take note it does not come with saxophone mute.
- It weighs 15 pounds, with a dimension of 35.5 × 16 × 10 inches
- Model number TS-400
10) Best Choice Products Alto Eb Sax Saxophone
This model is a professional Alto Eb Sax. It has sturdy brass construction with a gold finish. It is light weight and easy to assemble. It comes in a case of great value. The case has two exterior pockets for storage. It also has a compartment for the neck and mouth piece. The sax comes with accessories including gloves, aglet, cork grease strap, and reeds. It has straps and zippers to be used as extra security measure while traveling
- It is made of solid brass with a gold finish
- Instrument key of F
- It includes a valuable carrying case which has different compartments and padded straps and zippers for security.
- It comes with gloves, aglet, cork grease strap, and reeds
- It weighs 10 pounds, with a dimension of 6 × 10 × 25 inches.
- Its proficiency level professional.
11) Windsor MI-1005 Student Alto Saxophone
The Windsor MI-1005 student alto saxophone is a beautiful piece designed to produce beautiful sounds while giving a comfortable learning experience. It is an instrument carefully constructed for students, hobbyists, and enthusiasts.
The saxophone with its crafted brass body with lacquer finish, engraved bell complete with Pearloid keycaps and premium pads is really an elegant instrument. The keys operate with stainless steel springs, rods and pins to ensure durability. With its accurate tuning and intonation, it is so reliable that it tends to lend confidence to anyone who plays or practices with it.
This saxophone is indeed equipped with everything a beginner needs to practice and learn comfortably. More so as it is very affordable. It comes with a fully lined plush hard case for protecting your instrument while traveling, neck strap and a cleaning kit.
- A brass body complete with lacquer finish
- Pearloid keycaps, premium pads, and engraved bell.
- It has responsive Stainless steel springs
- Comes with plush hard, lightweight case, neck strap, grease and cleaning kit.
- It is suitable up to grade five
- It weighs 4.8 pounds, with a dimension of 26.8 × 3.9 × 7.9 inches
- Model number MI-1005
- Level beginners and intermediates
12) Glarry Black Alto Saxophone for Student
If you are just getting started into playing the saxophone and explore all the unlimited possibilities this great instrument has to offer, this model by Glarry is an option to consider. Suitable for a different type of music genres, from jazz to rock or even classic songs.
Designed to be easily played by beginner students up to intermediate musicians regardless of their age, a child or adult. You can acquire this saxophone in two different colors, black and standard gold color, with a shiny and glossy finish that gives a smooth look and surface.
The paint will not chip or damage over time due to its outstanding good quality. It is made of strong and resistant brass that offers a well-rounded sound and vibration, essential for good intonation. To make things easier, Glarry offers an essentials kit for this model, which includes a case that is both soft on the outside but hard on the inside to avoid any damage to your saxophone (the case can be carried around in up to four different ways).
Further, its kit also included one pair of gloves, one grease to easily attach the mouthpiece, ten different reeds, one strap, a cleaning cloth, and a long cleaning brush. The saxophone measures 25.98 inches long and weighs 176.37 ounces.
13) Ammoon WSS-899 Straight Bb Soprano Saxophone
While tenor and alto saxophones tend to be more popular at times, there is no doubt the soprano saxophone is a great instrument that more people should look into it when it comes to deciding what instrument to learn how to play. For this reason, Ammoon has put a lot of effort into building an efficient and top tier Soprano for students and experienced musicians.
Made with imported red bronze, for an antique look, matched with a hand-carved pattern on the bottom body area, leather pads that are also resistant to water and strong steel needles for sturdy support. The keys are made of abalone shell, giving it a variety of shades and colors to match with the vintage style. If you decide to get this model, you will definitely stand out for its beautiful design.
The main body measures 56.2 centimeters long and 9.1 cm in width. On the other hand, the mouthpieces add an extra 14 centimeters, and it weighs in a total of 3.1 pounds. As well as your Soprano, you will get a full case to keep it safe from any possible danger, a big cleaning brush rod and cloths, different straps, a cover for the mouthpieces, gloves, reeds and a manual to get started right away in your new lessons.
14) Etude EAS-100 Student Alto Saxophone
This is another student sax. It is made from fine metals to give it a superior production. The EAS-100 Student Alto sax is ideal for those starting out in alto. The device is mechanically reliable if you are prone to lose your patience at the first sign of mishap. It comes ready to play out of the case. It also comes cheap and inspires pride in the young player.
The key work, pads, and adjustment all work together to make strong tones that are easily and consistently produced. The manufacturer’s advice that you can only get the best of this product when it is bought new and properly set up. They also believe that every young beginner should have the opportunity to take pride in their instrument. This is because pride inspires confidence to play. As such their musical instruments, this sax inclusive go at a low price.
- It is made of fine metal
- It is made for beginners, and as such is easy to play
- It has high-quality bell brace
- Allows for accurate adjustment
- This instrument key is Bb
- Mechanically reliable
- It comes with carrying case, mouthpiece, ligature and care products
- It weighs 9.8 pounds, with a dimension of 25 × 12 × 6.1 inches
- Model number EAS-100
15) Selmer La Voix II Alto Saxophone SAS280
This alto saxophone is a top-level model especially manufactured for those who want to take music to the next professional level. Selmer is a French company, and they carefully crafted this high-end instrument for students and musicians who have a passion for playing the saxophone, making sure it will last a lifetime.
It’s offered in four different shades, silver, black nickel, copper with yellow brass and classic gold so whatever color you choose there is no doubt it will make a statement in its quality, which is not only visible but also audible in its wholesome sound helped by the crafting and building process of the brass it's built from. You will have a steady melody and tone that will beautifully blend into each song.
Lighter than other models, offering only the best features possible and an ergonomic design for a better grip and a spring tightness set up by professionals to have the best response time when it’s being played. It’s tuned in a high F#, but it has room for versatility with multiple screws that are completely adjustable, as well as a rotating mechanism, top quality leather pads, and imported metal for its resonators. The total item weight is 16.5 pounds.
16) Yamaha YAS-480 Intermediate Eb Alto Saxophone
As you already know, the Yamaha brand is one of the leading names when it comes to saxophones. This is because of the quality material used for construction, their high-end features and their willingness to improve their products based on recommendations. It is, however, an expensive brand.
The Yamaha YAS-480 is an intermediate Eb Alto Saxophone model with silver plating. Its design having been influenced by Yamaha high-end features has a highly accurate intonation, with a warm tone and quick response. It is constructed to be light weight, yet it is still durable. It comes with a professional-quality 62-style neck for mature quality sound. There is a hand engraved pattern on the bell that makes it look classy and gives confidence to the owner.
The octave key system has been redesigned to give players the flexibility to choose between the included new 62-style neck and those made to the custom Z as well as custom EX Yamaha sax. The added 62-style neck has an improved tone and response. The keys are also easily adjustable. The YAS-480 has an improved mechanism from B-C# ensuring the consistent closing of the low C# key and promoting a clear response from notes within the low range of the sax.
- It is made of metal and hand engraved
- Compatible with custom Z and EX Yamaha necks
- Instrument key Ee
- It has an enhanced neck
- Key guard
- Left-hand seesaw key
- It weighs 17.7 pounds, with a dimension of 29.2 × 9.6 × 15.2 inches
17) Prelude Student Model AS711 Alto Saxophone
The Conn-Selmer AS711 is a Prelude student alto saxophone. The key design is made to allow correct and comfortable hand positioning. It has a yellow brass body which includes ribbed construction and a detachable reinforced body to bow connection, giving it added strength and durability. The Prelude series of entry-level instruments are built to stringent specifications and are at relatively affordable prices. They combine value and performance making them great choices for student bands.
The features of this sax include the left-hand table rocker mechanism with an articulated C# adjusting screw. It also has a High F# key carved mouthpiece with the cap. Along with a ligature, neck strap, engraved bell, dark lacquered body, and keys. Cork grease, as well as an adjustable metal right-hand rest for the thumb #2-1/2, Reed, child leather pads and metal resonators and a hard shell carrying case. It also includes necessary accessories and maintenance kit.
- Yellow brass body with clear lacquer finish
- Yellow brass key material
- Comes with hard carrying case, reed, mouthpiece, cork grease, ligature and neck strap, and maintenance kit.
- Weighs 3 pounds, with a dimension of 28 × 5 × 9 inches
- Instrument key is F
- Model number AS711
18) Ammoon E-Flat Alto Saxophone LADE
Another great instrument by Ammoon, but this time, it’s the turn of an Alto variety. What sets this model from your typical saxophone is that it offers a variety of really uncommon color options, like navy blue and hot pink, as well as a subtler black color, all of them engraved with a dazzling engraved of a flower in gold color, weighing only 5.4 pounds.
Tuned in the standard F# note for a classic sound, this E-flat Alto promises a delightful and melodic sound that will be constant during each and every note played. It’s made out of resistant quality brass, made to endure long practices and concerts for many hours, the finger pads are made of leather and are water-resistant, the inlaid key buttons are presented in surreal patterns thanks to the beautiful abalone shells they are made of.
This instrument is suitable for everyone, from new students to veteran teachers and musicians, because of how efficient and easy to play it is. As well as with your saxophone, you will get a basic starters kit to maintain its cleanliness and safeness, accessories like neck-straps, cleaning cloths and rod, one brush, cork grease, gloves, and a hard case to store everything inside and keep it organized.
19) Yamaha Professional Alto Saxophone (YAS-62)
Yamaha is known worldwide for being a leading company in the manufacturing of musical instruments, producing the best top-quality models all around for the past decades. If you go to a concert or watch an orchestra live, chances are, a Yamaha instrument is being used.
The Japanese brand commits making the most reliable products, and the YAS-62 Alto Saxophone is no exception. It has gained a certain status in the music industry both for students and professional musicians that want a respectable performance and a perfect sound quality. Made with the best dedication possible, offering a new style for the neck, making it a bit narrower than previous models, causing a really fast response time and more control of each note it is being played, and a new neck receiver to match and connect it.
The key posts are built in such a way that they are all integrated into a single brass plate, making it more resistant to common wear and helping deliver a constant sound each time they are being pressed along with hard solid steel needles used for the spring, that help with quick key response time. You will also find a nice flower hand engraved in the main body of the saxophone made with fine details and care and a case to keep your new Yamaha instrument protected.
20) Eastar AS-Ⅱ-Ab Alto Saxophone
Instead of the classic brass material, you will find that the AS-II-Ab is made of almost pure copper instead, giving it an antique look for all the vintage lovers, the copper will not be affected by aging or fading and will last many years due to the multilayers of paint on it. 100% welded lead-free to provide safety to all the customers whenever they are playing it or just around it.
High-quality pads made of leather that help hold the airtightness, the needle springs are also made of blue copper for a fast reaction between each note played and pressed. For the inlaid keys, Eastar decided to use the faux mother of pearl to keep a classic style that matches the antique look of the paint. Each key is also oiled to prevent them from getting rusty or getting stuck.
Suitable for beginner students who are just getting started in the music world and want an easy to play the saxophone that will help them in their journey. The saxophone is tuned in standard F# key, so the student doesn’t struggle with tuning. The kit includes different accessories to keep your instrument clean, tidy properly and organized like a carrying case, one real leather strap, grease for the cork parts, mouthpiece set, six different reeds, one cloth, a pair of gloves, cleaning brush, and a saxophone stand.
21) Kaizer Student Alto Saxophone
This Kaizer model is a student alto saxophone is one of the Kaizer 1000 series saxophone. This series introduces functionality, versatility and excellent playability to beginner students at reasonably affordable rates. The series through its design has eliminated the need for beginners to get new equipment at an intermediate level. This eliminates the need to change your instrument till you are a professional.
The Kaizer student 1000 sax series are designed to last, constructed of high quality solid yellow brass. Which enhances its time and durability Kaizer makes use of only original manufacturers to ensure they produce quality products. They are sensitive to touch and respond with fluidity. Also premium steel springs for fast action, professional leather pads for maximum intonation control and comfort. Standard Alto saxophone in the key of E flat (Eb). It is designed for beginners, school bands, and orchestra players. They also give a good warranty allowing you peace of mind.
- Made with high quality solid yellow brass
- Available in classic gold lacquered finish or silver and black platted.
- Lifetime warranty from manufacturer default
- Key E flat
- 45-day free trial and full money back if returned
- Fully loaded package including case, maintenance kit, gloves, complete mouthpiece and ligature set.
- It weighs 7 pounds, with a dimension of 23 × 5 × 8 inches.
22) Ammoon Eb Be Alto Saxophone
Once again, Ammoon introduces another amazing model in their Alto saxophone line for any beginner students that are trying to play pretty much any kind of music, jazz, bossa nova, funk, blues, classical music, you name it. 100% made of imported solid brass that won’t rust over time due to its resistance and its manufacturing process.
This instrument is classified in an Eb tone in high F# intonation. It is made of 100% brass giving place to a shiny surface, and for your preference, you can also find it in full silver color. To promote the best possible sound continuously that resembles a professional saxophone but in half the value. The keys are also built to be easily played by the new students and offer a soft release sensation and won’t feel clunky at all.
Besides receiving your Alto Saxophone, you will also get a series of accessories like one mouthpiece, three different size straps, a pair of gloves, one cleaning brush, and one cleaning cloth. The entire package weighs around 10.15 pounds and measures 24.5 inches in length, 11.9 in width, and 8.8 inches thick.
23) Yamaha YAS-82ZII Custom Z Alto Saxophone
This is another great model from Yamaha. The YAS-82ZII Custom Z Alto Saxophone. Since the Custom Z was developed in 2003, it has continued to meet the expectations of the highest level musicians. With its technology, specification, and craftsmanship which has continued to improve, the Yamaha brand continues to be one associated with quality.
The Yamaha YAS-82ZII is preferred by the working professionals. It has amazing features including:
- A one piece bell with new engravings like the one on vintage sax. This feature drastically improves low-end response and offers the player a variety of tones.
- More elaborate with finer details, vintage engravings
- Domed metal resonators which offer an outstanding response and deliver a wider dynamic range
- The entire range of this piece has clearer pronunciation, making playing effortlessly
- A wide bore V1 neck which offers a free blowing feel and unimaginable flexibility.
- Improved Low B-C# connection which enables a proper seal for these notes thereby promoting clearer responses throughout the low range of the instrument.
- Lighter thumb hook and thumb rest base designs which produce better response as well as a more cohesive tone
- One adjustable Front F key
- Z style case which is slim and lightweight and provides excellent protection.
- A shoulder strap is also included.
- It weighs 14.9 pounds, with a dimension of 28 × 13.7 × 8.7 inches.
24) Herche AS-630 Alto Saxophone
The AS-630 is a perfect option if you are trying to decide what alto saxophone to buy for the first time. Herche is sure that it is the best choice for all levels if it’s the first one or an upgrade saxophone, it doesn’t matter, this model will exceed your expectations completely.
Their company is a family-owned business that has been involved in music for the past 30 years while the manufacture the best instruments getting feedback from actual music teachers, students, and musicians to know exactly what their specific needs are and to fulfill them in order to make their musical experience as complete and wholesome as possible.
Experienced technicians test and manually adjust each built instrument before being put in the market to ensure the best performance. Built from strong solid brass, imported blue steel springs for better support, durable leather pads, and stainless-steel resonators, all features carefully selected to be compatible with each other.
Apart from receiving your alto saxophone, you will get a hard-shell case as well to store your instrument and accessories too. The whole package weighs around 8.6 pounds and measures around 26.5 inches in length, 12 inches in width and 7 inches thick.
25) Mendini by Cecilio E-flat Alto Saxophone (Gold Lacquer)
Mendini made sure to put a lot of commitment on this Alto Saxophone, making their whole brand is mainly focused on creating top quality instruments that are still a good value compared to their competitors, making them one of the number one sellers in the music industry for proving to be reliable and efficient in their welding processes since 2004.
The saxophone is built with hard and non-malleable brass that will resist the constant use during long practices and performances with your saxophone — finished in a gold lacquered paint and shiny surface that is smooth to the touch. Tuned in Eb with high F# tone like most saxophones, so you are familiar with it, its construction is sturdy and ribbed and has 100% real leather pads that offer enough cushion every time a key is pressed, the base of the inlaid contoured keys is made of faux mother of pearl to match the luxurious aspect of the paint.
Along with your Alto Saxophone, you will also get a fully complete kit like no other, a professional deluxe case that is also hard-shell which you can carry around in different ways, even like a backpack, a full box of 10 reeds in size 2.5 inches, a book that you can fit in your pocket, a neck strap, one cleaning cloth, one cleaning brush rod, brushes for the mouthpiece, a pair of gloves and a stand that you can fold and store in a bag that is also included in your kit.
26) Muslady Eb E-flat Alto Saxophone
Another Alto Saxophone lacquered in an antique semi-matte brass finish that resembles class and style just by looking at it, matched with a hand-carved design on the main body’s surface. The pads are made with real leather and resistant to water to protect them from any fluids accumulated while being played and imported blue steel needles.
It is tuned in an E-flat tune with high F# like most alto saxophones for your convenience, offering a beautiful and vibrating sound helped by the solid brass construction. Also, in your package, you will receive more components and accessories to maintain it in the best possible way and take care of it, so it stays in good condition throughout the coming years.
Like a padded case that you can carry in different ways, two special cleaning cloths, a long cleaning rod brush, a pair of gloves, multiple reeds to practice, different sizes straps, and a mouthpiece cover as well. The case measures 61 cm in length, 26 cm in width and 14 cm in thickness, the saxophone itself weighs around 5.5 pounds and the entire package around 9.1 pounds.
27) OPUS USA Professional Gold Alto Saxophone
Considered an ideal option both for students and professionals, OPUS USA put a lot of effort into this Alto Saxophone that promises the best quality sound on every note the musician plays, assuring that they will be rich and pure constantly the whole song. It is built with Bb keys set on High F# notes for commodity and familiarity so that the musician doesn’t have to struggle with any kind of special tuning.
Made with imported durable brass but built and assembled in the U.S.A., with faux mother of pearl keys that are sensitive enough for a quick reaction when pressed. The paint is a gold lacquered color with a glossy finish.
Also, you will also receive a really strong hard-shell case, so you can transport your saxophone from home, practice, or concerts without having to worry about it getting any damage. The whole package measures around 26 inches in length, 12 inches in width, 6.5 inches thick, and weighs 9.8 pounds in total.
28) Eastar Baritone Saxophone (BS-Ⅲ)
Baritone Saxophones sometimes require a more effort to play simply because of its big size, but it pays the hard-work once you hear the beautiful deep vibrating sound it makes. For this reason, Eastar committed to building an instrument with fine components like special copper that has zero traces of lead during the process of welding.
This copper has been carefully imported from Europe to ensure the best quality only, which can be seen in the main body, as well as a sophisticated handmade engraved of some flowers, opposed to the plain gold lacquer paint which can be way too ordinary sometimes the color, will not fade over time and constant use.
Blue copper is also used for the springs that will give strong support once the keys are pressed. The keys are made of abalone, making them look very elegant on sight. It’s tuned in E Flat, making sure the air flows properly, offering the best possible sound and satisfy the customer’s needs regardless of their skill level. The BS-III has a bass button that reinforces the low vibration sounds, making it as rich as possible, holding a steady tune the whole note.
The kit includes a hard-shell case with attached wheels, so you don’t have to carry the heavy Baritone around and simply roll it around, an electronic tuner, cork grease, cleaning cloths, and a long neck strap.
29) Yanagisawa WO20 Series Alto Saxophone
The Yanagisawa WO20 Series Alto Saxophone is from the Elite Models which are instruments that represent the height of craftsmanship for true players. With a moderate level of resistance, an accomplished player is able to discover a truly effortless tone with depth. It allows for freedom of expression. Its proficiency level is professional. And it is made of bronze.
- It is bronze
- From the ‘Elite’ Model
- It weighs 17 pounds, with a dimension of 29 ×11 ×15 inches
- Model number AWO20
30) Selmer AS42 Professional Alto Saxophone
The Selmer AS42 is a professional Alto saxophone. It is born from the association between Selma USA and Henri Selmer Paris for an entry level professional sax. It features a genuine Henri Selmer Paris neck along with the exclusive AM42 Selmer Paris Mouthpiece. Making the only sax in its price range that can boast of a Henri Selmer Paris mouthpiece and neck.
It is a very responsive piece that plays wonderfully in jazz and classical performances. The AS42 is a remarkable piece to behold. It is silver with the beautifully engraved pattern, featuring a pretty cool case that makes it beautiful to behold and as well as play. It’s blue steel springs ensure a quick response. With fully ribbed construction and metal resonators, you are guaranteed to get a wide dynamic range and exceptional projection.
- Silver body with beautifully engraved pattern
- Henri Selmer Paris neck
- Henri Selmer Paris mouth piece
- Ribbed construction
- Blue steel springs
- High F# key
- Multiple adjusting screws
- Includes a beautiful carrying case
- Weighs 15 pounds, with a dimension of 10 × 14 × 29 inches
- Instrument key E-flat
31) Merano WDF419 E Flat Blue Alto Saxophone
The merano brand makes all kind of musical instrument. There are instruments hand crafted such that each piece has its own minuscule difference. The brand caters to beginners, students, intermediate and even professionals. Merino is very much concerned about satisfying their clients and as such encourage them to share their personal experiences while using the product. They offer competitive pricing which is most times below wholesale price for some other brands.
The Merano WDF419 sax is a popular option for very cheap saxophones. It, however, has very thin brass, and you may not get good sound from it. It is okay for beginners.
- Key of E Flat
- The body is Lacquer plated
- It weighs 11 pounds, with a dimension of 27 × 13 × 6 inches
- It includes Hard shell velvet lined case, screw driver, nipper, a pair of gloves, soft cleaning cloth, free music stand (not saxophone stand) and metro tuner.
32) Legacy AS750 Student/Intermediate Alto Saxophone
Legacy instruments are of good quality and give you value for your money. Legacy saxophones are crafted to specifications and are tested to ensure they meet quality standards. The legacy AS750 is a quality student Alto sax. It is a good instrument for beginners because it is easy to learn on and makes the practice less intimidating.
With great intonations and superior quality tone, you are sure to have a fun experience with this one. Even after several years of daily play, it does not deteriorate in sound or ease of play. It is also reasonably priced, being one of the best in its price range. It makes an excellent choice for aspiring musicians on a budget. The sax also comes with an unconditional cash back guarantee and a comprehensive warranty.
- Body is in clear lacquer
- It has good key spacing
- Reasonably priced
- Comes with hard shell dual use canvass carrying case, mouth piece, neck strap, mouth piece cap, and ligature.
- It weighs 7 pounds, with a dimension of 30 × 10 × 12 inches.
- Musical style for this model is Jazz
- Its instrument key of Bb, F
- Proficiency level beginners and intermediates
33) Hallelu HAS-200 Eb Alto Saxophone
The Hallelu HAS-200 Alto sax model is excellent for young beginners and students. The instrument key is Eb. The body is made of gold with a lacquer finish on the body and keys. It also has leather pad made with metal resonators. It produces a High F# key. It comes along with a pro carrying case, a double padded neck strap, a ligature, mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece cap.
It is a really good piece sold at an affordable price. There is 30 days unconditional cash back guarantee for each piece. It also has a 1-year warranty for the instrument.
- It has gold lacquered body and keys
- Leather pads
- Allows for adjustment to suit player
- It comes with a pro carrying case, ligature, mouth piece, mouth piece cap
- Double padded neck strap
- It weighs 15 pounds, with a dimension of 29 × 10 × 15 inches
- Instrument key Ee
- Model number HAS-200
34) Roy Benson RBAS202K Alto Saxophone
The Roy Benson brand is known for its quality pieces. They use good metal and skilled construction for instruments that are affordable compared to some other known brands. The RBAS202K EB model is a student Alto Saxophone. It is a quality alto piece that plays great, is relatively cheap, properly built and easy to use. It is well suited for beginners with an average build.
It is constructed to enable good key action and blowing ease. For those who would want more silent action, there is a metal thumb rest and felt bumpers you could use.
- It has a brass body, Anthracite black lacquered with brass lacquered keys.
- It has high F# key
- C#- Bb connected table key
- Hardened Blue steel springs
- It comes with: a light weight rectangular case with a back pack assembly; a mouthpiece with its ligature and cap; a cloth for cleaning; and carrying strap.
- It weighs about 12.3 pounds, with a dimension of 26 × 11 × 16 inches
- It is made for a student’s proficiency level.
Choosing the Best Saxophone from the Best Saxophone Brands
Saxophones are one of the more classical instruments that have gained popularity in recent times. Invented in 1846, the saxophone was named after inventor Adolphe Sax. More popularly used in jazz and other classical types of music, the saxophone has also gained popularity in the rock and hip-hop departments. Because of this, many people have started to take an interest in the instrument, which is why it has become a popular part of a few households. The saxophone was also a popular part of the evolution of music in the last few decades of the 20th century.
- Yellow Brass Body
- Eb Key
- Warm Sound
- Tapered Pivot Keys
- Ideal for Beginner & Intermediate Players
1) Mendini by Cecilio MAS-L+92D+PB Gold Lacquer Alto Saxophone
- Huge Bore
- Cecilio 92-D Chromatic Tuner with Metronome
- Deep & Rich Tone
- Fast Action Keys
3) YAMAHA YAS-280 Student
- Well-Known Brand
- Gold Lacquer Finish
- Sonorous Tone
- High F Keys
- Perfect for Student Players
What to Consider When Buying a Saxophone
If you want to get back to playing the saxophone, but your old one has worsened in condition, or if you are looking to start playing the instrument for the first time, you will obviously have to get yourself a saxophone to play. There are many things that you will need to make sure any of the saxophones you buy has so you can get the best out of the instrument. Some of these are listed below.
- When it comes to saxophone sizes, there are many more options than you’d think. This part depends on you and whether or not you can play already. It is true that some of the ‘’ more extreme’’ sizes of saxophones, sopranino, and soprano, can be a bit problematic for beginners, which is why they should start with altos or tenors. However, if you already have experience with the instrument, it depends entirely on you and the type of music you wish to play.
- The saxophone has two variations in its construction, ribbed or non-ribbed. Ribs strengthen the build of the instrument, keeping the posts so that they don’t easily detach from the body and ruin the instrument. For students, it is recommended that they use a non-ribbed saxophone as they are lighter and more comfortable for beginners; however, a more experienced player should get a ribbed one; however, you should keep in mind that this doesn’t affect the sound of the instrument.
- Additional keys are a must-have for better players. Some saxophones have enough keys to produce sounds as high as F#, which allows for many more possibilities with the instrument, while a few of the latest soprano saxophones also offer a high G key. These notes are playable without the keys as well; however, the keys make it much easier. However, if you are a beginner, you should not buy a saxophone with too many keys as they could feel a little crowded in inexperienced hands.
Popular Saxophone Brands
Many musical instrument brands have making saxophones for a long time and become very experienced at manufacturing the instrument. However, there are a few that stand out, some of these are listed below.
A major part of KHS musical instruments Co. is their brand called Jupiter. Jupiter deals in wind-based instruments and is one of the best in the manufacturing of the saxophone, especially when it comes to saxophones for beginners and slightly experienced players. They have some great models that are not only great when it comes to sound, but also when it comes to durability and comfort, making them a great option for any player. Jupiter was one of the brands that were established during one of the most popular eras of the saxophone, which was in 1980, meaning although they aren’t as old as some other brands, they are still as good as them, if not better.
One of the best brands for beginners is Allora, who offer great craftsmanship, good sound quality, and great durability as well at a lower price as compared to most other brands. Allora is a good option for beginners as well as a better player; however, a more advanced player does have many other options. Allora is another new brand, but they value their quality and consistency and aim to provide every player with the best instrument they can, whether beginner or professional.
Keilworth is a German instrument brand and is one of the best and most experienced makers of saxophones out there. They have been providing players with an amazing and distinctive sound, as well as comfort and durability since 1925. Keilworth is used a lot by professionals and is a very popular name in the jazz genre. However, a beginner may not find their models the easiest to use.
Helpful Tips for Saxophone Players
Saxophones are definitely not the easiest instrument to master. However, you should never let that put you down if you are a new player who is struggling. As is with any other instrument, with some time of concentrated practice and a little guidance, you will be great at it. Whether you are a new player or a more experienced one, below are some tips that you could find helpful.
- One thing that helps is to wet the reed you are about to use before playing. This helps with the efficiency of vibrations when playing.
- Before playing, check to see if your ligature is tight enough. The ligature majorly affects your saxophones sound, as it will sound terrible if not tight enough. If you don’t already know, the ligature is the piece that holds the mouthpiece and reed together.
- Get familiar with your instrument as each part of the saxophone is vital in playing it.
You really should put a lot of thought into buying a saxophone. Whether you intend using it for a few months or for a longer period of time. It is indeed a difficult task, but with the right guidance from a music teacher, professional, an instrument repairer and reviews online, you should be able to get a piece that suits your need.
Finally, you do not need to spend so much, in recent times a few hundreds saxophone sounds as good as a $1000 piece. The factors to take into account in choosing apart from the include above intonation, tone consistency across the range, quality of materials used for construction and design. You also do not need so many accessories. The mouthpiece, reeds, a comfortable neck strap and a maintenance kit, is all the accessory you need.