How often do you watch your favorite bartender doing his thing and wondered, ‘Can I mix killer cocktails as that guy?’ Mixology is an art that can lead you to places and open doors to new and exciting social interactions and career opportunities. Top mixologists are celebrated and revered in hospitality establishments across the world. But it takes a mixture of good training, a knack for improvisation and experience to get people to take notice of your ability to make celebrity cocktails.
Do you think that your mixology skills could go a notch higher with quality training? Just like any other art, mixology is largely a creative activity. However, you need the right fundamentals to get the correct results. You need to know minor details that make a difference between average and killer cocktails, for example, temperature, acidity, viscosity, and sweetness, and so on. Many mixologists learn by observing other mixologists. This kind of learning comes with mixed results; sometimes the teacher just knows what works by trial and error instead of facts.
What if you could learn mixology from the best mixologists with award-winning recognition? This is possible by taking mixology lessons on Masterclass. The good thing is that you get this world-class mixology learning at your own pace.
What exactly is Masterclass?
Masterclass is one of the world’s leading online learning platforms. It brings lessons from the best teachers in a wide range of subjects to students all over the world. Membership is open to anyone willing to learn. You get world-class teachers such as Lynnette Marrero & Ryan Chetiyawardana (mixology), Massimo Bottura (cooking), Steve Martin (comedy), R.L. Stine (writing), and dozens of other top talents in different subjects. Some of the broad categories offered on Masterclass include;
- Design, Photography, & Fashion
- Film & TV
- Music & Entertainment
- Culinary Arts
- Business, Politics & Society
- Sports & Games
- Science & Technology
Who are Lynnette Marrero and Ryan Chetiyawardana?
Lynette Marrero is a renowned figure in the world of mixology and bartending. She is the founder of the mixology female competition ‘Speed Rack’ and the founder of Ladies United in the Preservation of Endangered Cocktails (LUPEC). She is also the resident mixology at Llama Inn in Brooklyn. Lynette’s cocktails celebrate Latin American culture with a big influence from her Peruvian roots. Lynette has been recognized for her work and influence on culinary trends. She was named as one of ‘America’s leading Mixologists’ by the James Beard Foundation. Fortune Magazine named her the ‘Most Innovative Woman in Food and Drink’ in 2015, and Wine Enthusiast’s Mixology/Brand Ambassador of the Year in 2016. Lynette is also a big supporter of the fight against breast cancer.
Ryan Chetiyawardana AKA Mr. Lyan is one of London’s most celebrated mixologists, widely recognized for his unique approach to mixology. His cocktails do not use perishable ingredients including fruits and ice. He has a cocktail house named White Lyan which and its offshoots Super Lyan, Dandelyan, and the Cub. His pioneering skills in mixology have won numerous accolades among them;
- INTERNATIONAL BARTENDER OF THE YEAR by held by Tales of the Cocktail in 2015 and 2014
- WORLD'S MOST INFLUENTIAL BAR PERSONALITY by Bar World 100, Drinks International in 2019
- SUSTAINABLE SPIRIT AWARD by Tales of the Cocktail in 2016
- PERSONALITY OF THE DECADE by Imbibe in 2017
- BEST RESTAURANT BAR by London Restaurant Festival Awards of Evening Standard in 2017
- INNOVATOR OF THE YEAR by Imbibe Awards in 2014 and 2016
- TOP 1000 MOST INFLUENTIAL LONDONERS in the years 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014 as recognized by the Evening Standard
- UK BARTENDER OF THE YEAR by Havana Club Grand Prix (2012) and Diageo Reserve World Class (2009)
- GLOBAL BARTENDER OF THE YEAR by Diageo Reserve World Class in 2009
MasterClass Mixology Lesson Online with Lynnette Marrero & Ryan Chetiyawardana Review
What the MasterClass entails
This course is designed to give you the essentials of great cocktail mixing. These two talented mixologists offer to teach you what they have learned from their long experience in mixing. You will learn how to develop your palate to taste and test your cocktails. You will also learn which cocktail works for what occasion, event, and mood. There are 17 video lessons in approximately four and a half hours. Some of the topics you will cover include;
- Exploring the Palate
- Solo Starters: Mixing classic Mojito and Whiskey Smash
- Shared Sours: How to mix Clara Bow, Margarita, Siesta, and Cosmopolitan
- Silky Egg White Sours: Mixing egg white Panacea, Pisco Sour, and Morning Glory Fizz
- Shared Classics: Mixing Martini based cocktails
- Dinner Party Classics: Mixing the Negroni
- Dinner Party cocktails: Sherry Spritz and Queen’s Park Swizzle
- Party Starters Cocktails: Doing Tiki and DIY Highballs
- Celebratory drinks: Using Pre-Batched Cocktails and Punches
- Raucous Drinks: How to mix a killer Lyan Mary
- How to Pair Cocktails with Food
- Developing Creativity and Craft for mixology
What the MasterClass payment entails
You get endless learning for a whole year for an annual membership of $180. This is an All-Access pass that allows you to access all lessons in this course. You also get access to other classes you would want to learn on Masterclass in other subjects.
- You learn the art from the masters. Teachers do not come better than these two talented mixologists. This is a very competitively priced course in light of the tutors taking their time to develop it.
- This is a self-paced course that you can take as and when your career and family time allows. You can also learn from anywhere in the world provided you have a good internet connection.
- Downloadable lessons for reference
- These lessons are offered in the English language only
If you are looking to become a great mixologist this course offers the solid foundation on which you can build your creative mixes. The skills you get in this course will be part of a rich repertoire in your bag of tricks. The fact that you can take the lessons in a self-paced mode makes it a unique bargain. This is just what you need to climb to the top as a celebrated mixologist.